The last month or so has seen me move my painting station to a new location, giving me a bigger space to work in, and have my photography station, painting table and airbrush set up in the same space which is great.
Here’s the start of my current project – the 133rd Pollaxan Janissaries, an Imperial Guard unit that fight alongside the Subjugators Space Marines. I’m working on both the Marines and the Guard together, using them in a campaign at my local gaming store. To start with I have 1,000 points of Marines and 500 points of Guard. First on the painting table is this Chimera, which will transport a unit of veterans. I’ve gone for the Forge World extra armour, which I like as it bulks out the tank, and also the Forge World alternate rear door just to be a bit different.
So far I’ve airbrushed with VMC Dark Sea Green, and then with VMC London Grey. Then I’ve used Vallejo pigments to add rust and mud effects. Next I’m planning to add some fresh mud effects, scratches and other battle damage. Plus the weapons, icons and other details. Finally it will be finished off with regiment markings. I will post up the final model when it’s complete!
I would like to wish everyone a Happy New Year, right now I’m working on this Pyre Troll and experimenting with airbrushing. This model will feature as a video tutorial on Ammunition Games in the new year.
With Scrapjack out of the way (final pics to follow soon) I got excited and started the next thing on my painting table straight away…
Last WIP shot of Scrapjack, a little more work on the base and some light sourcing and we’re done. I’m so glad I’m not painting any metallics for Golden Demon this year!
Quite a bit of work on Scrapjack’s metals this weekend, concentrating on the silver parts. I’m not 100% happy with it so far, needs a bit more work I think, but getting there!
Detailing is almost complete on Scrapjack now, I will be on to the metals and finishing touches before I know it. Original plan was to get this complete this weekend just past however the guys over at WAMP have teamed up with Privateer Press to hold a painting competition, so now I am painting towards their submission deadline of next Tuesday, giving me time to put more effort into every part. I would also like to put together a cool base for him but need to brainstorm a few ideas for that.
I’ve had a play with my photography as you may notice too. Moving away from using my phone for WIP shots and have set up a mini photo booth near my painting desk. This will make it easier for me to grab my DSLR and snap some WIP shots. Did some research into still life photography today to try and help improve my photography skills too so hopefully you can see an improvement .
A bit more work on Scrapjack tonight, aiming to complete him over the weekend.
Mainly working the browns of the packs on his back, a basecoat of GW Graveyard Earth, highlighting up with more and more GW Kommando Khaki, before mixing up a Graveyard Earth/Black mix to shade back down with.
I will be setting up my lighting kit over the weekend too so watch this space for some nice finished photos of the Khador army I took to the ETC last weekend!
More progress with Scrapjack tonight, concentrated on the red cloth and a little bit of bronze. I usually leave metallics until last however the top part of Scrapjack has a few bits of detail that make more sense if I paint them afterwards, such as the rope wrapped around it.
Well I’m back from the ETC and still in the painting mood. The Midland Steamroller series is in around 1 month’s time and I’m planning an Old Witch list as my 2nd list for that. Plus I really like the Scrapjack model so it’s a win-win situation really!
Taking a little bit more time this time, thinking a lot more about the battle damage on his armour, working lots of different browns into it . Here’s the progress so far: