Tags: , ,

18th February 2015     0

Guild Ball Incoming!

With Guild Ball on the horizon, I’ve been working on a dedicated table for it. Here’s a guide to building the board itself, eventually it will be expanded to include advertisement boards around the edge, stalls for spectators and a pub/pavilion with dugouts.

Stage 1 – Basecoat

After getting a 3′ x 3′ MDF board cut at my DIY store, I propped it on some spare boxes and gave it a basecoat with a mix of Brown emulsion, sand and a little washing up liquid.

IMG_1419

 

Stage 2 – Drybrushing

The whole board was then given a drybrush of a lighter brown emulsion, and then a cream emulsion. Tester pots are great for this as they are usually only around ¬£1 and you get more than enough. It looks very subtle in the photo but it’s more visible in the flesh.

IMG_1420

 

Stage 3 –¬†Flocking

Next, using a cheap brush and a 50/50 mix of PVA and water, I painted a random pattern of PVA over the whole board. When doing this, I wanted to leave muddy patches, especially near the goals and the centre line. Thinned PVA needs to be used for this so that it doesn’t dry while you’re still applying it (due to the size of the area). Ideally I didn’t want to do this in multiple stages so there were no visible signs that it was done in stages. Thinned PVA also¬†“soaks up” more flock when it is applied, so the grass looks thicker.

Once I was happy with the PVA, I sprinkled on flock from above. I used 2 different shades of green flock, and also static grass. Switching between all of them grabbing a handful and scattering it over the board until it was all covered. This results in a more natural looking grass rather than one flat colour. The whole thing was left overnight to dry before I shook the flock off.

IMG_1421

 

Stage 4 – Centre Logo

I found a guild ball logo online and printed it off nice and large. Then carefully cut out a stencil with a scalpel. Next, I blu tacked it to the centre of the board at an angle, and surrounded the area with more sheets of paper. The edges between sheets of paper were taped down. The last thing I wanted at this stage was to get white marks somewhere I don’t want them because a sheet of paper wasn’t stuck down correctly!IMG_1422

 

A couple of blasts of white spray and I removed the stencil.

IMG_1423 IMG_1424

 

Stage 5 – Pitch Markings

For the final stage I measured out and marked with a pencil the deployment zones, centre line and goal areas. Then, using GW Ceramite White I went along and painted those lines in.

IMG_1425